Updated: 02/09/2015 3:50 PM
Created: 02/24/2010 2:07 PM WNYT.com
By: WNYT Staff
ALBANY DECLARES A SNOW EMERGENCY BEGINNING
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 10, AT 8 P.M.
ADDITIONAL PARKING LOCATIONS
AVAILABLE MONDAY AND TUESDAY EVENING
ALBANY – City of Albany officials have declared a Snow Emergency that will begin at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 10, at which time all normal parking rules and regulations will be temporarily suspended. Snow emergencies are declared so that snow can be loaded onto snow removal trucks and removed from City streets. Because parking can be difficult to find during and after snowstorms, extra parking locations around the City will be open on Monday and Tuesday evenings, February 9 and 10 (see locations and times below).
During the first 24 hours of the snow emergency (from 8 p.m. Tuesday, February 10, until 8 p.m. Wednesday, February 11) all vehicles must be parked on the even numbered side of the street. During the next 24 hours (from 8 p.m. Wednesday, February 11, until 8 p.m. Thursday, February 12) all vehicles must be parked on the odd numbered side of the street. After the second 24-hour period please stay tuned for further announcements. For Snow Emergency information, call 476-SNOW or visit the City of Albany’s website at www.albanyny.org (see other information sources below).
If you are parked on the wrong side of the street during the Snow Emergency your car will be ticketed, and it may be towed. If your vehicle has been towed, call Albany Police Department at 438-4000 for information on how to retrieve your vehicle. Snow Emergency information is available on the City’s website at www.albanyny.org or in brochures available at any Albany firehouse, police station, or any open branch of the Albany Public Library.
AVAILABLE PARKING LOTS
The following parking locations are available from 6 p.m. Monday through the end of the Snow Emergency at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, February 11:
ARBOR HILL/SHERIDAN HOLLOW
• PARKING AREA ADJOINING ARBOR HILL SOFTBALL FIELD (NORTH LARK ST.)
• 230 COLONIE ST. (PLAYGROUND LOT)
• 178 COLONIE ST. (PLAYGROUND LOT)
• TEN BROECK MANSION (PARKING LOT & SIDEWALK, WEST END)
• RIDGEFIELD PARK (ENTER ON PARTRIDGE ST.)
• WOODLAWN PARK LITTLE LEAGUE
• WATERSON PARK (WESTLAND HILLS) ENTER ON COLVIN AVE.
• WASHINGTON PARK (ALL ROADWAYS AND PARKING AREAS)
• KRANK PARK AREA
• FRANKLIN ST. (BETWEEN SCHUYLER & BASSETT STS. – EAST SIDE)
• LINCOLN PARK (ALL INTERIOR ROADWAYS & PARKING AREA)
• FRISBEE AVENUE (PARKING LOT BETWEEN SECOND AVE. AND MCCARTY AVE)
• 77 PHILIP ST. (PLAYGROUND)
• 88 PHILIP ST. (PLAYGROUND)
• 179 MYRTLE AVENUE (LOT IN FRONT OF COMMUNITY GARDENS)
• PARKING AREA ACROSS FROM NORTH ALBANY AMERICAN LEGION POST
• BLEECKER STADIUM (PARKING AREA & ROADWAYS)
• NORTH SIDE OF LIVINGSTON AVE. PARKING LOT (OPPOSITE JUDSON ST.)
IMPORTANT CONTACTS DURING THE SNOW EMERGENCY
· The Snow Emergency Hotline is 476-SNOW (7669); for general snow inquiries call DGS at 434-CITY
· To report power outages and determine area repair schedules, call National Grid at 800-642-4272; in an emergency, call 911; if extensive power outages do occur during the storm, emergency shelters will be openend around the city
· News Radio & TV
· Electronic message boards & orange signs placed on streets throughout the city
· City Hall’s Twitter Site: @AlbanyCityHall
· If you’d like to receive a text or email about a snow emergency, you can sign up at: www.albanyny.org/Government/Departments/PublicSafety/PoliceDepartment/Nixle.aspx