Updated: 02/14/2014 10:41 AM
Created: 02/01/2011 1:11 PM WNYT.com
Colonie has not declared a snow emergency but it is asking residents to help with snow removal.
In response to the National Weather Service's forecast for heavy snow in the area lasting until Friday morning, the Town of Colonie is requesting the assistance of all Town residents to assist the plow crew’s efforts to clear the streets and maintain access for emergency vehicles.
The Town of Colonie is urging all residents to park their vehicles in their driveways or to seek alternative off-street parking.
Here are some general tips related to staying safe during the snowstorm:
• Avoid unnecessary travel
• If you have to travel, keep a safe distance of at least five
seconds behind other vehicles.
• Even after roads have been plowed, drivers should slow down.
• Stay off the roads and park your car in your driveway to allow snow plows and emergency vehicles to pass.
• Clear fire hydrants in your area.
• Remove ice and snow from steps, sidewalks and walkways.
• Keep cell phones and other electronic devices charged.
• Have a battery operated radio and a flashlight ready in case of a power outage.
• When shoveling snow, dress warm in layers and avoid over-exertion.
• If you must drive, make sure your tires are properly inflated and windshield wipers are working properly.
• Keep your pets indoors.
• Check on elderly and infirmed friends and neighbors.
• Listen to the local radio or television news for weather updates and emergency notifications.
• When using a generator, place it outdoors and follow all manufacturers’ safety precautions.