Posted at: 03/02/2012 9:05 PM | Updated at: 03/04/2012 9:51 AM
Sundried Tomato Risotto, with Asparagus and Blackened Tilapia
from Keith Smith of The Massry Residence at Daughters of Sarah, and Morrison Senior Living
The following recipe is scaled for 6 servings.
1/2 lb. asparagus spears (raw)
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 ¼ cups tomato sauce
¼ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ¼ cup Arborio rice dry
½ cup white wine
½ cup sundried tomato julienned
½ tbsp. fresh parmesan cheese shredded
¼ cup fresh basil chiffonade
¼ tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. cracked black pepper
Blackened tilapia ingredients:
6, Three to five oz., tilapia fillets
¾ cup Cajun seasoning
¾ oz. canola oil
Slice asparagus lengthwise and blanche in boiling water then shock in ice water to retain color.
2. Keep vegetable stock hot while preparing risotto. Heat a medium saucepot over high heat and lightly mist the pan with olive oil to just coat the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions have just softened about 2 minutes. Stir in the Arborio rice; stir to coat rice lightly with oil.
4. Add the wine to deglaze the pan and reduce until wine has almost evaporated. Stir in half of the hot vegetable stock and reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Add a little bit of vegetable stock at a time to risotto mixture. Stir continuously until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
6. Repeat process until rice is al dente about 20-30 minutes.
7. Heat a separate sauté pan over medium high heat and lightly coat with olive oil. Add the sundried tomatoes, sauté for 30 sec and add to risotto.
8. Stir tomato sauce, basil and parmesan cheese into the risotto.
9. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and keep warm while plating.
1 Place the fish fillets in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over them.
2 Dip each fillet into seasonings and coat each side evenly.
3 Put fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side and internal temperature reaches 155°F.
Prepare Tilapia according to recipe and set aside hot. Spoon 1/2 cup risotto into a ring mold and top with sliced asparagus and 1 blackened tilapia fillet cut in half.
Garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.