Posted at: 07/12/2012 3:02 PM
| Updated at: 07/12/2012 6:18 PM
By: Bill Lambdin
ALBANY - We bet you remember the pictures: the shocking images of a modern megaship on its side after running aground.
The Costa Concordia had sailed without the lifeboat drill almost always held on other ships before departure.
That meant many passengers had no idea what to do and where to go when the vessel was taken way too close to shore, ripping its side and taking on water.
The captain and much of the crew were no help, even abandoning ship with many still on board.
"Since then I don't feel secure going on board another ship," said Joan Fleser of Duanesburg, a passenger on the ill-fated cruise.
Initially Fleser thought she would resume cruising.
But as more information has come out, that attitude has changed.
Joan says Costa offered her family about $14-thousand a person to compensate for their ordeal, provided they release the line from all legal responsibilities.
Joan and her family said no.
They have an attorney and are considering their options.
"We're working with an attorney now that is really working hard to change rules for cruising, laws, regulations, safety," Fleser said.
Part of that effort will include appearing on the network report Thursday evening.
"What we have learned is a totally different world out there as far as your rights are concerned," Fleser said.