Posted at: 07/13/2012 8:02 AM | Updated at: 07/15/2012 9:32 AM
Yield: 4-5, 8 oz jars
4 cups of cut up nectarines; skin on. ( That's About 5-6 nectarines)
1/2 cup of water
2 cups of sugar
1. Combine nectarines and water in a heavy bottom tail pot.
2. Simmer over medium heat until fruit begins to break down. Stir with wooden spoon the entire time.
3. Add sugar and check set of jam. (This is called "sheeting" where the jam slowly slides off the spoon).
4. Jar immediately into sterilized jars; being sure to leave "head space" (1/4" of unfilled space at the top of the jar. When you cap the jar, and it cools, that air space with suck the lid down and create the seal to make it shelf stable).
5. Boil closed jar in a boiling pot of water with a baking rack on the bottom of the pot (that's called a waterbath) for 10 minutes. (make sure the water is covering the jars and start your timer when the water comes to a boil).
6. Let cool and check for seal.