Posted at: 08/10/2012 5:54 PM
| Updated at: 08/10/2012 6:18 PM
By: Beth Wurtmann
JOHNSTOWN - Ben Melita says so many people will miss Bill Subik, a 53 year old farmer devoted to his land.
"Bill was a gentle giant. Everybody loved Bill because he was monster of a man, big and just as nice and gentle as can be," said Melita, a longtime friend and neighbor of Subik's.
On Wednesday, it was a nest of angry bees lurking in that ground that went on the attack, stinging him dozens of times.
"Before you know it, you're slumped over the wheel of your tractor, you're swelling right up and you're having trouble breathing and it's happened to me also," said Melita.
Friends said Subik had been hospitalized before with severe reactions to bee stings, diagnosed with a bee allergy.
"He was required to carry an EpiPen because of the allergy he was really allergic to bees," said John Eschler.
A family member confirmed by phone that Subik's EpiPen was in his truck far away, and that he only managed to grab a cell phone and call a friend. Rescue workers could not find him in time.
"He was always worried about 'em and this time he should been more worried because they did him in," Melita said.
Dr. David Shulman said, an allergist with Certified Allergy & Asthma Consultants, said the epinephrine in the EpiPen is the number one drug that can be potentially life-saving in emergencies like these.
"If this gentleman had his EpiPen, there's a chance he might have been able to hang until emergency people came, there's no guarantee on that, though," he said.