Posted at: 10/19/2012 9:55 AM
| Updated at: 10/19/2012 4:25 PM
By: WNYT Staff
ALBANY – The fire that claimed the life of a young Albany girl this week was set accidentally by a child.
Albany Fire Chief Robert Forezzi confirms that the girl, who was about 3 or 4 years old, succumbed to her injuries Thursday at Shriner’s Hospital in Boston.
The girl was rushed to a burn unit there after being pulled from a fire at her home on Benson Street on Wednesday.
Investigators from the Albany fire and police departments as well as the district attorney's office and the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control ruled that the fire was accidental.
"After carefully examining all of the evidence at the scene and the damage caused by the fire, investigators from all four agencies have concluded that the fire was accidentally caused by a child playing with burning incense," Forezzi said in a statement.
Other children and an adult woman escaped the house without serious injury.