Posted at: 11/27/2012 12:09 PM
| Updated at: 11/27/2012 5:47 PM
By: John McLoughlin
TROY –A very anxious situation happened in downtown Troy Tuesday morning when a contractor trying to remove the roots of a tree accidentally ruptured a one-inch gas line.
Several nearby businesses were evacuated as National Grid and Troy Firefighters took control.
Throughout this two-hour ordeal, just about everybody, firefighters and police officers and especially the people who had to be evacuated had one thing on their minds: that disaster that happened in Springfield, Massachusetts last Friday night.
Firefighters say from the time they got the mid-morning call, the gas explosion in downtown Springfield was all they thought about.
The Springfield explosion injured 18 people, and damaged 40 buildings, leveling three.
"It was really kinda' scary at the time," said Nicole Talaiji, owner of Midtown Market.
Her Midtown Market, among the several businesses evacuated at Congress and Third streets, shut down.
A contractor trying to remove a stump ruptured the gas line, causing a major leak.
Firefighters called it "touch and go"
"That's the first thing that came to my mind, what could happen here and i was thinking of [Springfield],” said Talaiji.
Mayor's Spokesman Michael Fraser says it was 'touch and go" at the start because they were dealing with a much larger line than they usually do.
Merchants told NewsChannel 13 they could smell the leaking gas several hundred yards away.
"I was a little bit scared here and I was thinking about Springfield and concerned that something like that might happen," said Dan, a local shoe repair man.
The contractor was working on a new Dunkin' Donuts, and National grid was quickly on the scene, working for an hour to close down the leak.