Posted at: 01/03/2013 1:22 PM | Updated at: 01/05/2013 9:32 AM
A Healthy Twist on “Spicy Beef with Shrimp & Bok Choy “
from F.D. Myers Education Center (Washington, Saratoga, Warren, Hamilton, Essex BOCES)
· 1/4 cup rice wine
· 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
· 2 teaspoons cornstarch
· 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
· 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
· 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
· 10 raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled, deveined and chopped
· 1 pound baby bok choy, (Chinese cabbage) trimmed and sliced into 1-inch piece
Whisk rice wine, oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
Add beef and crushed red pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the beef begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add shrimp and continue to cook, stirring, until the shrimp is opaque and pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the beef, shrimp and any juices to a plate.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in the same pan. Add bok choy and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return the beef-shrimp mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 204 calories; 8 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 54 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 384 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat