Schumer urging cruise liners to adopt a Bill of Rights
Posted at: 03/17/2013 12:57 PM
By: Cadence Acquaviva
Senator Schumer is calling on cruise liners to adopt a "Bill of Rights" to ensure passengers are guaranteed sanitary conditions, backup power and medical staff. Even if the ship is registered in a foreign country.
The proposal will be modeled after the Passenger Bill of Rights for airplanes and comes in response to the recent string of dangerous incidents on international cruise ships.
The Cruise Ship Passenger Bill of Rights will include, at least, the following guarantees:
1) The right to disembark a docked ship if basic provisions cannot adequately be provided
2) The right to a full refund for a trip that is abruptly canceled due to mechanical failures
3) The right to full-time, on board professional medical attention
4) The right to real-time information updates on adjustments in the travel plan
5) The right to a ship crew that is properly trained in emergency procedures
6) The right to backup power in case of a generator failure
The Senator is urging cruise liners to voluntarily adopt the new guidelines. He is also turning to the State Department to begin negotiations with countries that host ships that serve U.S. passenger.