Posted at: 04/18/2013 9:50 AM | Updated at: 04/20/2013 10:05 AM
Sweet and Spicy Fish Taco
from Carney's Tavern
(Click their name to go to their website.)
Toasted Coconut Cole Slaw
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3 cups cabbage, shredded
1/3 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
3/4 cup Mayonnaise (like Hellmann’s or Best Foods)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Honey
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or Peperoncino (adjust to your own heat preference)
Sea salt and fresh pepper
1. Toast the coconut in a small sauté pan on medium heat just until it turns a light golden color. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In a large bowl add the cabbage, carrots, coconut and cilantro.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the mayo, the juice of the lime, mustard, honey, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss well. Refrigerate until serving.
1/2 pound small fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 large garlic clove
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Serrano Chile with seeds, or to taste
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons water
Coarsely chop tomatillos, then purée with remaining salsa ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth.
½ Cup Greek Yogurt
1-2 tsp Sriracha
Combine and mix in a small bowl.
2lbs any white fish
1 pack of soft or hard flour tortillas. (I prefer soft. Can warm up 20 seconds in microwave)
½ cup vegetable oil for frying
2 cups Rice flour
2 T Kosher Salt
2 T Cracked Pepper
2 T Dry Oregano
1. Add dry spices to flour in bowl and mix well.
2. Dredge fish in flour as you are heating your oil in a 12” frying pan.
3. Add fish skin side up in pan and cook for 3-4 mins then flip over and repeat.
4. Remove fish from pan and place on paper towel to absorb oil.
5. Once fish is cooled cut in half-length wise then cut into large dice.
Add fish chunks to tortilla shell and spoon on slaw, salsa, and finish with dollop of aioli.