Posted at: 06/07/2013 1:07 PM | Updated at: 06/08/2013 9:32 PM
(Click the above links to go to the websites.)
- 4 Slices of Toasted Bread
- 1 Cup of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup of Warm Milk (warmed in a saucepan or heated in the microwave)
- 1 Tablespoon of Prepared Mustard (whatever kind you like brown, yellow, whole grain)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Tabasco (or other hot sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Cup of Beer
1. Make 4 pieces of toast in the toaster and cut it on the diagonal – and put the pieces aside until you make the cheese sauce.
2. Grate 1 pound of sharp cheddar cheese. Put this aside for later.
3. Warm 1/2 cup of milk (either in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove). You want the milk warm, you don’t need to boil it – or even simmer it, just warm it through. Set it aside.
4. In a saucepan on the stove burner over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and let it foam up a little (but don’t let it burn or get too brown).
5. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour over the foaming butter in the saucepan. Stir/whisk butter and flour together and cook about 3 to 5 minutes (it will be like a lump in the pan). You have just made roux.
6. Take your ½ cup of warm milk and pour/stream it into the roux as you stir/whisk. Really whisk all the lumps out of it.
You now have Béchamel Sauce.
7. If the sauce is boiling, turn down the heat a little and then add the 1 Tablespoon of prepared mustard and stir.
8. Stir ½ teaspoon of Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce) into the mixture.
9. Take 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce and stir that into the mixture.
10. Now stir or whisk in 1 cup of beer.
11. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can thin it down by whisking in a little warm milk.
12. Arrange your toast triangles on a plate and spoon or pour the sauce over the toast.
Serves 4 People (one slice of toast, cut in two, per person)
? Box Grater
? Two Sauce Pans (or you only need one if you heat the milk in the microwave)
? Wooden Spoon