Posted at: 06/07/2013 1:15 PM | Updated at: 06/09/2013 10:42 AM
One Pot Summer Clam Bake
From WSWHE BOCES Chef Instructor Maureen Clancy
Prep Time 10 minutes Total Cooking Time: 40 minutes Yield: Serves 6
• 1 cup water
• 1 1/4 cups dry white wine, you can also substitute wine for alcohol free dish using Seafood stock OR use a gluten free beer such as Red bridge for gluten free option
• ½ stick butter (4 TBS.)
• 2 TB. Seasoning salt
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
• 2 large shallots, quartered and peeled
• Couple pinches of Red-pepper flakes (optional)
• 2 lemons, quartered squeeze in the juice • Add : 1 1/2 pounds small baby red, white or fingerling potatoes
• 1 # smoked sausage, kielbasa cut in 2 inch chunks (Note :you can use a combination of other sausage :hot, sweet Italian sausage , chicken ,turkey, chorizo, breakfast links)
• 6 ears corn, shucked and halved
• 5 dozen clams, scrubbed clean
• 1 pound shell-on extra-jumbo shrimp (16 to 20)
1. In a 12-quart stockpot, add the first 10 ingredients. Bring it all to a boil.
2. Add potatoes, cook 8 minutes.
3. Add sausage, corn, clams, cover the pot and cook until clams have opened, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Add shrimp in a single layer, cover, turn off heat, and let sit until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes.
5. With tongs, transfer shellfish and vegetables to a large serving platter on your picnic table.
6. Garnish with additional lemons & melted butter
7. Pour broth into a bowl ,Serve shellfish and vegetables with remaining lemons and broth for dipping
This can be made "Crock Pot Method" and this can be all put together the night before. Prior to the preparation par cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 12- 14 minutes. Then proceed with the recipe adding all ingredients except the clams & shrimp. Cover and cook for approx. 1 hour & 30 minutes on medium setting.
Add clams & shrimp on the top the last HALF HOUR OF COOKING. Serve with broth & butter.
Optional Ingredients: Any type of seafood or shell fish can be added or substituted: mussels, oysters, and crab claws, lobster etc.