Updated: 04/07/2014 10:21 AM
Created: 04/06/2014 3:22 PM WNYT.com
By: News Staff
Some Schenectady residents woke up to the sound of sirens Sunday morning as fire consumed the attic of a home on Duane Avenue.
As smoke and flames billowed out of the home, neighbor Susan Trubridge was already outside trying to figure out why her home was out of power. She and two others then ran into the burning building to see if anyone needed help getting out safely.
“We saw the smoke from the top and when we went inside you could tell the house was building up with smoke,” says Trubridge.
The three were able to rescue the one man who was trapped on the second floor. By then, they say the attic was already fully engulfed in flames.
Fire officials say the roof caved in and the rest of the building had extensive damage. It will eventually need to be torn down. They still trying to determine a cause.
Officials are speculating that a car accident on Paige Street, just a few blocks from the fire, might have had something to do with it. The car slammed into a utility pole, splitting it in half and knocking out power to the immediate area just minutes before the fire broke out.
Meanwhile, residents here are happy no one was injured. They're pointing to Trubridge and the other two people as heroes for their quick thinking and actions.