Matt's Fish Fry in Cohoes destroyed by fire

Updated: 04/09/2014 8:23 PM
Created: 04/09/2014 9:43 AM WNYT.com
By: WNYT Staff

COHOES - A well-known eatery in Cohoes burned to the ground Wednesday morning.

Flames at Matt's Fish Fry on Saratoga Street was first spotted shortly after 4 a.m.

The eatery closes at 7 p.m. so firefighters aren't sure how long the restaurant had been burning.

The building is destroyed.

The fire chief says it's a big loss for the community, especially this time of the year.

 “Especially this time of the year, the lent's here. One of the guys said they actually got fish from this guy. It's gonna be a big loss,” says Chief Joseph Fahd.

No one was injured.

Fire investigators say it was probably started by an electrical problem in furnace room.

The owner of business says he plans to rebuild.

Matt's Fish Fry in Cohoes was destroyed by fire Wednesday morning.
Photo: Nicole Hart / WNYT


43° | 28°
  • Feels like: 34° F
  • Wind: W 20mph
  • Humidity: 22%