13 Kids Who Care Nomination Form
Purpose and Rules “13 Kids Who Care”
The purpose of 13 KIDS WHO CARE is to reward young people of the Capital Region for volunteer work and community involvement that touches the lives of people in our region and that improves the quality of life in our communities. This cooperative effort seeks to show the community that its future is indeed in good hands. It also will reward those teen volunteers who are making significant contributions to our communities.
This effort will particularly focus on those teens who work diligently to help the disadvantaged, disabled, or their fellow teens who are “at risk.” It seeks to distinguish those whose work often goes without recognition and also frequently without the funds necessary to do the job.
1. KIDS WHO CARE nomination forms will be available at the NewsChannel 13 website (WNYT.com) and at the WNYT Studios (715 North Pearl Street, Menands).
2. Nomination forms must be filled out and mailed to 13 KIDS WHO CARE, PO Box 4035, Albany, NY 12204 or faxed to (518) 426-9463.
3. Nominations must be postmarked by February 10, 2012.
4. A committee of local community leaders will select the teens to be honored who, in their opinion and in the opinion of the sponsors, represent the young people in the Capital Region who touch people’s lives.
5. There is no attempt by the judges or sponsors to suggest that those chosen are “the 13 best” teen volunteers in the Capital Region. Rather, these are teens whose actions represent the wide variety of positive efforts teens are making in our communities throughout the WNYT viewing area and the St. Peter’s service area.
6. Each teen’s story must be, in the opinion of the selection panel and NewsChannel 13, suitable for featuring in a news story on WNYT. The nominees must be willing to be part of such a news story to be eligible for selection as one of 13 KIDS WHO CARE. These selections will begin in the month of February and continue until 13 selections are made.
7. WNYT intends to produce a series of weekly stories on 13 KIDS WHO CARE for its newscasts. This series will begin in March 2010.
8. The teens selected for 13 KIDS WHO CARE will receive a donation to be given directly to the charitable organization for which they volunteer, or another local organization of their choice, that is approved by the sponsors. The charitable organization must be a 501(C)(3) organization and registered as a charity in New York state. Its headquarters must be located in the Capital Region and the work it does must directly benefit Capital Region residents. The contribution also must be used towards purposes that directly help residents of the Capital Region.
9. Those teens selected for 13 KIDS WHO CARE will be honored at a reception in June 2010.
10. All nominations become the property of WNYT, St. Peter’s Health Care Services and the Times Union.