Posted at: 02/20/2013 12:07 PM
| Updated at: 02/20/2013 8:28 PM
By: Mark Mulholland
SARATOGA SPRINGS - The inside of Apartment C-3, Building 28 is destroyed. The fire was reported at around 4:30 Tuesday afternoon at the Jefferson Terrace apartments.
A woman who lives in the apartment next door said, "By the time I ran out there was flames coming out that window there and my whole entire apartment was just smoke."
At the time of the fire, the family that lives in C-3 was in New York City visiting relatives.
"It is scary, but at least they weren't home when it happened," said Mark Irish, a 10-year-old boy who lives next door.
The fire appears to have started in the center cushion of a couch in the living room.
Firefighters managed to keep it from spreading to the other apartments in the building.
Investigators think they have an arson fire on their hands and they say a mysterious witness might be able to help them.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they were approached by a teenager who claimed to witness something.
"When the firefighters were arriving, there was a teenage, light-skinned black male, approximately 16 to 18 years old who had a very brief conversation with firefighters. Actually walked up to them," said Lt. John Catone of the Saratoga Springs Police Department.
"He made some mentions that he'd seen some other people in the area, but didn't get into any descriptions or anything like that."
And after that, he disappeared. Police say he may have the information that could help them solve the case.
"At this point, he's not a suspect," said Catone.
There was a fire in a nearby building at Jefferson Terrace on Monday, but police say that fire was caused by faulty wiring and is not related.