Firefighter recovering after needle stick

Posted at: 05/10/2013 11:51 AM | Updated at: 05/10/2013 12:44 PM
By: Subrina Dhammi

Bookmark and Share

 

LANSINGBURGH - We know firefighters are in harms way when putting out fires, but this is a different dangerous situation. A Troy firefighter had a scare after a man stuck him with a hypodermic needle Thursday afternoon.

Rob Ziter, also a paramedic, responded to the Hannaford in Lansinburgh just before 3 p.m. for an unresponsive man. It looked like an apparent heroin overdose. The man was not breathing and had already been loaded into an ambulance.

Paramedics gave him Narcan and he quickly came to. That’s when Ziter was stuck with a hypodermic needle.

Ziter needed to quickly go to the hospital.

Joel Burgess was arrested also taken to the hospital for testing, but police say he managed to get away.

Ziter had to start anti-viral drugs just to be on the safe side.

Police found Burgess around 9 p.m. and brought him back in. He was arraigned in court Friday morning on felony charges.

Ziter is doing okay so far. Tests are coming back negative.



WNYT welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.