QUICK LINKS:

Police: Fire started by man trying to thaw out pipes with blowtorch

Updated: 01/24/2014 8:45 AM
Created: 01/24/2014 8:28 AM WNYT.com
By: WNYT Staff

PITTSFIELD, Ma. – Police say a man trying to thaw his pipes out with a blowtorch accidentally set fire to his home.

The fire broke out on Thursday afternoon on McArthur Street. Emergency crews say he accidentally ignited combustibles in the basement.

The man was able to put the fire out. The home sustained $25,000 in damage.

Except for a firefighter who suffered a cut to the head, no one was hurt.

Firefighters on the scene of a Pittsfield Fire, early Thursday evening.
Photo: Dave Hover

Albany

Overcast
41°
49° | 37°
  • Feels like: 36° F
  • Wind: N 7mph
  • Humidity: 67%