Advertisement

Jury sides with Petco in death of boy from rat-bite fever

April 20, 2017 06:13 PM

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A San Diego jury has sided with Petco in a lawsuit brought by the family of a 10-year-old boy who died after contracting an illness from bacteria from a rat purchased from the retailer.

KNSD-TV and KFMB-TV report that the jury found Thursday that Petco was not negligent or liable in the death of Aidan Pankey on June 12, 2013, after he was rushed to a hospital with severe stomach pains.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

The San Diego County medical examiner's office ruled the cause of death was streptobacillus moniliformis infection, known as rat-bite fever, after exposure to an infected rat.

The jury found that Petco did enough to warn the boy's family of the possible risks and dangers of owning a pet rat, and therefore was not negligent in the boy's death.

Credits

(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Police make arrests in Hague shooting

"Take Back the Night" march held at UAlbany

Grandfather recalls seeing little girl's lifeless body

Workers afraid in youth detention facility, blame state policies

Soares: An apology would have avoided trial

Advertisement