December 03, 2017 07:07 AM
Serena Moroukian makes the classic Armenian dessert Kadayif with Dan, and discusses the annual Holiday Bazaar at Saint Peter's Armenian Apostolic Church.
For the base and top:
2 lb kadayif dough
¾ lb melted unsalted butter
For the Custard filling:
1 ½ qt heavy cream
¾ c milk
4 heaping T cornstarch
3 T sugar
2 t vanilla
3 c sugar
1 ½ c water
Depending on where you live (if you have a large Greek, Armenian, Lebanese, etc. community in your area), you might be able to find the dough in the freezer section of your local market, along with the phyllo dough. Otherwise, you should be able to get it from a Middle Eastern bakery, market, or maybe even a restaurant.
- Heat oven to 375
- Thaw dough (if frozen).
- Open your dough and pull it apart, shredding it into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and pour it over the dough, rubbing it in to distribute.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of your pan and set aside.
- Stir the cornstarch into the milk to dissolve; set aside.
- Bring the 3T sugar and heavy cream to a boil.
- Add the milk/starch, and vanilla, stirring constantly until thickened (about 10 min.).
- Spoon the custard filling over the dough in the pan.
- Top with remaining dough and bake at 375 until golden, about 30 min.
- Either about 10 minutes before it's due to come out, or right after it comes out of the oven, bring the sugar and water to a boil.
Updated: December 03, 2017 07:07 AM
Created: December 02, 2017 11:05 AM
Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company