April 08, 2017 10:14 AM
Adine Viscusi, co-owner and president of Schenectady-headquartered Casa Visco Sauces, joins Dan with a delectable way to use up spare ingredients from your fridge: a richly flavored Shakshuka.
Clean out your fridge Shakshuka
with Casa Visco
This is a great all purpose vegetarian recipe for any meal, helps to use leftover vegetables and can go over any kind of starch you like.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon harissa (optional)
- 2 cups leftover vegetables, spianch, kale, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, potatoes etc
- 2 TBS Ras El Hanout (morrocan spice blend)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 32oz Favorite Casa Visco Sauce, I like #AwesomeSauce Garden Veegetable
- In a large saucepan -- ideally a pan you can cover with a lid later -- warm the olive oil over medium heat and then add all rest except the eggs. Saute for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables soften and the flavors meld.
- Make a half-dozen little indentations in the sauce and then crack an egg into each. Simmer until the whites are gently set and the yolks are still wobbly; this will take around 10 minutes, but watch closely--the eggs go from undercooked to overcooked quickly. (If they're cooking very slowly, cover the pan and then peek.) Serve the eggs in the sauce, over grilled bread, polenta, coucous, etc.
Updated: April 08, 2017 10:14 AM
Created: April 07, 2017 10:28 AM
Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company