Advertisement

Heroes recognized in raging weekend fire

October 18, 2017 05:22 PM

ALBANY - It turns out Albany firefighters were aided by two residents as they rescued people from a raging fire Saturday evening.

The fire broke out around 11 p.m. at 497 Yates Street. Two men were down the block a little way at Casey Finn's Pub. When they heard about the fire, they rushed over a few doors. Flames were shooting out of the building.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Rick Stevens ran next door to get the family out and Joe Keefe ran to the back.

In the middle of the thick smoke, he saw two people on the second floor on the back porch screaming for help. They had their 4-year-old son with him. He was scared – and they dropped him a good distance down to Keffe, who caught him and ran to safety.

Albany Fire Chief Warren Abriel recognized Stevens, Keefe and all the firefighters who worked quickly as a team to put out the fire within minutes. The outcome could have been much worse.

Firefighters helped the parents get off the upper porch. Six people on the ground floor were able to get out.

"It was a back deck, no stairs," explained Keefe. "They were standing in the corner of it. Smoke was coming out of the house. I was telling them to drop the kid down and we'll get some help. That's really all we could do."

Keefe, who works for Amtrak, says he saw the little boy come down in his pajamas and Paw Patrol slippers.

The fire chief says the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

Credits

WNYT Staff

Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Relay Media Amp
Advertisement
Advertisement
Loudonville woman accused of stealing $30,000 in cash from friend's house

Abrahamson: This silver may be the most important medal Mikaela Shiffrin ever wins

Flood concerns remain in Schenectady

New York income tax refund information available online

NY has $26M for rail, port infrastructure improvements

Advertisement