Four arrested after online threat to Ballston Spa High School
October 03, 2017 05:33 PM
BALLSTON SPA - The Gregson boys got an unexpected day off from school on Tuesday. Their mother picked them up, after learning from a friend, that both the Ballston Spa Middle and High Schools were on lockdown for about 75 minutes Tuesday morning.
"They're my life. I'm trying not to cry, I'm sorry. Without them I would be lost. They are everything to me and I needed to see them," explains the mother of three, Tiffany Gregson.
The lockdown took effect as soon as administrators learned that a high school student posted a threat, Monday night on Instagram. The Saratoga County Sheriff's department arrested four boys - ranging in age from 13 to 15 - and confiscated a starter pistol from the school grounds.
"We take every threat serious and this is protocol and what we train for in Saratoga County," said Sheriff Michael Zurlo, during a news conference.
After the district lifted the lockdown, the day continued as usual. A student told NewsChannel 13 that they were informed that the threat had been handled and everyone was safe.
"The team at the high school took immediate action and I couldn't be prouder of all the students and staff. You never want to go through this but this is the way it's supposed to work," added Superintendent Joe Dragone.
Still, everyone involved hopes they never have to experience a morning like this ever again.
"Scary enough that a gun was found. Usable or not. And threats were made but my kids are safe," said another BSHS mother, Tonya Heath.
Some parents told me they were upset that they first heard about the threat from the news or via text from their children, inside the school during the lockdown. The district responded that its first priority was ensuring the safety of students and staff and that as soon as the lockdown ended, parents were notified.
Updated: October 03, 2017 05:33 PM
Created: October 03, 2017 09:46 AM
Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company