Advertisement

Crews battle fire at home in Wilton

March 27, 2017 06:15 PM

WILTON – Quick thinking kids are credited with helping to save their grandmother at a house fire in Wilton early Monday morning.

More than three hours into the call, in the driving rain, firefighters were still tearing into the roof to vent what was left of the fire on Nichols Road in Wilton. They were just above where investigators say it started, a freezer sitting outdoors with an extension cord that overloaded the circuit. The fire went along the extension cord and back into the wall.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Owner Elizabeth Millett was sleeping in the living room with her three grandsons, age 9 and 7 year old twins. The kids alerted the adults just after 3 a.m.

"I have a C-PAP machine on, so I couldn't smell anything and one of the children woke up crying and when I got up the whole house was just full of smoke, the whole living room," said Elizabeth Millett who escaped the fire with her grandkids.

"Got in the walls and got up into the roof. It actually had broken through the ceiling inside the house and got up in," said Chief Scott Beckett with the Wilton Fire Department.

Other people staying here got out too, all out the front because of the thick smoke and heavy flames out back. The home has an L-shaped addition and another shed within a few feet plus propane tanks on the property.

"There's a gas tank in the back and I didn't want to open the door any more with the fire underneath so I just grabbed the kids and went out the front," said Millett.

"They left everything behind just to get out and then I came over and it was engulfed, on fire," said Chris VanDermark.

Between the fire and water damage, the house is a total loss. The Red Cross is assisting them. However, Millett was able to retrieve an urn. It holds the remains of her son who died suddenly on this property in 2013. She moved in after that.

"I couldn't get out the back. There was fire underneath. I wasn't going to take the chance," said Millett.

Credits

WNYT Staff

Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Local fire departments hope to attract new volunteers through Recruit NY

Demonstrators call for defunding of Planned Parenthood

Police shut down college party at Schodack Island State Park

Guilderland drug bust yields arrest of man wanted in connection to NYC murder

Trump's 100-days vows: Hits, misses, unfinished business
Donald Trump

Advertisement