Pain Perdu (Fancy French Toast)
May 11, 2018 04:49 PM
Chef Genevieve Meli from the Culinary Institute of America stopped by NewsChannel 13 to make Pain Perdu, a fancy French toast.
STUFFED PAIN PERDU
Makes 4 servings
1 cup Milk
½ cup Heavy Cream
¼ cup Sugar, plus additional for dipping
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Vanilla
Vegetable oil for coating pan
1 loaf Brioche, cut into 1/2” slices
1½ cups Filling (recipe below)
- Combine eggs, milk, cream, ¼ cup sugar, salt, and vanilla into glass bowl.
- Mix until creamy. Strain if desired.
- Coat frying pan with vegetable oil and place on stove on high heat.
- Place additional sugar into bowl big enough for brioche slices.
- Soak slice of brioche in liquid, then dip one side into the sugar. Repeat with second slice.
- Into oiled hot pan, place one slice sugar-side down.
- Place 3-4 tablespoons of filling (recipe below) onto brioche slice. Cover with second slice—sugar-side up.
- While heating, turn brioche in pan so sugar doesn’t stick to pan.
- Cook 30-45 seconds then flip for additional 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from heat and place on plate.
- Repeat with additional slices of brioche until filling and egg and cream mixture are used.
- Serve with syrup, powdered sugar, fruit, or whipped cream.
Updated: May 11, 2018 04:49 PM
Created: May 11, 2018 12:41 PM
Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved