Preventing frozen pipes important in bitter cold
December 28, 2017 01:43 PM
With colder temperatures here, Troy officials are sharing tips on how to prevent household water pipes from freezing:
- Keep your thermostat set to the same temperature for both day and night, even when you are not home.
- Close all exterior doors, including garage doors and other exterior entryways.
- Open hot and cold faucets to a slow drip during the coldest time of the day or night.
- You may consider keeping kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow heat to reach an uninsulated pipe.
- Know the location of your internal shut off valves in case of a leak or frozen pipe.
Created: December 28, 2017 01:43 PM
Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company