Sex offender appears at civil confinement hearing
November 20, 2017 06:27 PM
PLATTSBURGH - It's likely John Regan will face another trial, but not to determine his guilt. Instead, a judge will determine if he should be set free, or held by the state.
Regan waived his right to a probable cause hearing in court on Monday. That means the state’s effort to keep him locked up can move forward.
The 60-year-old rapist, sex abuser and would-be kidnapper was in Clinton County Court for a hearing on Monday, to determine if there was cause for a trial to keep him confined.
Regan’s already served his 12-year sentence for trying to abduct a Saratoga Springs running star from the Saratoga Springs High School parking lot in October 2005.
As the case heads to trial, NewsChannel 13 has learned the state attorney general plans to call Regan’s Saratoga Springs’ victim as a witness and the woman Regan raped at gunpoint in Connecticut. That woman, Donna Polomba told NewsChannel 13 last week she told the attorney general’s office she would cooperate fully any way she could possibly could.
Supreme Court Judge Mark Powers of Schenectady is handling this case. He set a return date of February 9. We will likely learn if Regan gets a bench trial, a jury trial, or no trial – meaning Regan would not contest and remain in a secure facility.
NewsChannel 13 reached out to the state Office of Mental Health. They say that since the law was implemented 10 years ago, a total of 596 people have been deemed in need of civil management under Article 10. Of those, 391 were placed in civil confinement. Such persons are considered dangerous sex offenders who suffer from a mental abnormality with a strong predisposition to commit sex crimes unless confined to a secure treatment facility.
The Office of Mental Health runs two secure facilities - one in Marcy and the other in Ogdensburg.
Updated: November 20, 2017 06:27 PM
Created: November 20, 2017 12:58 PM
Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company