Sources: State to seek civil confinement of man who tried to kidnap Saratoga Springs runner
October 24, 2017 07:02 PM
SARATOGA SPRINGS - He was supposed to walk out of Clinton Correctional in Dannemora on Friday.
John Regan, the Connecticut man who tried to kidnap a running star from the Saratoga Springs High School parking lot, has served almost twelve years in prison.
Police and prosecutors have called Regan a serial sex offender.
He had tarps, ropes and shovels inside his van at the time of the 2005 Halloween night kidnapping attempt.
He also raped a Connecticut woman at gunpoint years before he was arrested in Saratoga Springs.
Following his release from the New York prison, Regan was to serve three years of prison time in Connecticut but because of Connecticut's statutory good time law, Regan doesn't have to serve time there when his New York prison term expires.
But John Regan has no place to stay.
As NewsChannel 13 reported earlier this month, state parole has to approve where inmates plan to live and Regan hasn't told them what his plans are.
It was even thought that he'd move back to Saratoga County, possibly to a motel in Malta.
State prison inmates often end up back in the county where they committed the crime if they don't have another place to go.
But NewsChannel 13 learned Tuesday that the state has initiated the civil confinement process and a judge or jury will likely decide if he stays locked up in a secure psychiatric facility.
"I sure hope they're successful in getting him civilly confined. We'd be ecstatic and I can assure you, our entire town and our county would breathe a sigh of relief," said Vincent DeLucia, Malta Town Supervisor.
Updated: October 24, 2017 07:02 PM
Created: October 24, 2017 06:15 PM
Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company