Advertisement

Rep. Faso calls spending deal a compromise

February 09, 2018 02:22 PM

Republican Congressman John Faso was in Washington Friday and voted for the spending deal before hopping a plane back to New York.

Speaking with NewsChannel 13's Jerry Gretzinger at our studios in Menands, he called the deal a compromise and defended the dramatic increases in military spending -- saying it was necessary to address existing threats and a variety of shortfalls. 

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

"It's over and above what the president had requested when he initiated his budget," noted Faso.

"The lack of funding for munitions and ammunition and spare parts and training and readiness -- that's what really was causing a lot of concern. We lost 82 people last year in training accidents. We lost, to compare, about 23 people in military engagements. So this has really raised a lot of alarms within the Congress and in the Defense Department."

Faso says the spending deal accounts for just 28 percent of federal spending.  The other 72 percent is mandatory spending -- including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Other provisions in the deal will provide help to dairy farmers and energy businesses like Plug Power.

WEB EXTRA: Rep. John Faso on military parade idea

Credits

WNYT Staff

Copyright 2018 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Relay Media Amp
Advertisement
Advertisement
In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule

Lawmakers: separating families is "not who we are"

No clear plan yet on how to reunite parents with children

New York lawmakers to wrap up 2018 session

Canada to legalize marijuana on Oct. 17

Advertisement