Jacquie Slater & WNYT Staff
Updated: June 10, 2020 07:08 PM
Created: June 10, 2020 07:05 PM
People in Cohoes can breathe easier. Both the state Senate and the Assembly passed a bill Wednesday prohibiting the burning of firefighting foam at the Norlite Facility.
It's a story NewsChannel 13 has been following closely for months.
It's called AFFF - a firefighting foam containing toxic chemicals known as PFAS. The foam is toxic enough that the state of New York banned the use of it earlier this year.
However, still up in the air was whether the Norlite incineration facility in Cohoes could continue burning the foam as part of a contract they entered into with the U.S. Department of Defense.
It was discovered that Norlite had burned the foam in 2018 and 2019 and elevated levels of PFAS were found in the water and soil around the plant - prompting State Senator Neil Breslin and Assemblymember John McDonald to sponsor a bill that would ban the burning of AFFF at the facility.
That bill passed both the Senate and Assembly this week.
Hear the Cohoes mayor explain why the move is especially important for residents who live closest to the site, by watching the video of Jacquie Slater's story.
Copyright 2020 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company