Updated: January 20, 2022 07:41 PM
Created: January 20, 2022 11:56 AM
COEYMANS - Firefighters from across southern Albany County were called to the Coeymans Marina on Thursday.
There was an explosion and fire inside the main shop at the marina.
A 56-year-old man has severe burns to his face and body. He was airlifted to Burlington, Vermont for treatment.
Coeymans Town Supervisor George McHugh says there was some sort of welding going on in the service shop and fumes from a waste oil tank container may have caught on fire.
As a result, one employee caught on fire. McHugh says that employee was the one flown to the University of Vermont Medical Center.
McHugh believes a few boats may have been destroyed.
He says a public service announcement was put out, alerting residents in the hamlet to close their windows or to evacuate the area.
He is thankful for the firefighters' hard work.
Hear one witness describe his initial reaction to the explosion, by watching the video of Jonathan Hunter's story.
Copyright 2022 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company