Former NFL star Dion Lewis pleads not guilty to DWI charge | WNYT.com

Former NFL star Dion Lewis pleads not guilty to DWI charge

New York Giants' Dion Lewis (33) during the first half of an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns Sunday, Dec. 20, 2020, in East Rutherford, N.J. New York Giants' Dion Lewis (33) during the first half of an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns Sunday, Dec. 20, 2020, in East Rutherford, N.J. | Photo: AP Photo / Corey Sipkin.

Stella Porter
Updated: January 20, 2022 09:18 PM
Created: January 20, 2022 05:28 PM

GUILDERLAND - Former NFL star Dion Lewis pleaded not guilty to a DWI charge in Guilderland Town Court on Thursday.

As NewsChannel 13 previously reported, Lewis was arrested last month after refusing a breathalyzer test on Western Avenue.

His driver's license was taken away.

Before retiring, Lewis came up as an Albany Academy star running back. Then he went on to play eight seasons in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl with the Patriots in 2016. 

Court documents say the retired NFL star was heading home from a popular bar in Albany after midnight on December 19th. Police saw his car turn across several lanes with no blinker.

Guilderland Police who pulled him over report smelling alcohol. They tested his sobriety, and the documents say he did not recite the alphabet correctly. Lewis refused a breathalyzer test, and they arrested him.

According to police, he said “I’m drunk, don’t listen to the drunk guy” while at the police station. It also says they asked him for his number, and he responded "1-800-s*** my d***." 

Lewis currently works for Albany County in community outreach. A county spokesperson told NewsChannel 13 in December that he’s a committed ambassador for their programs. The county says it's aware of the incident and says Lewis continues to work there as his case goes forward. 


Copyright 2022 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company