Created: June 25, 2020 06:16 PM
A Menands mom's Facebook post about swimmer's itch has received an overwhelming response.
Erika Ries's 5-year-old daughter, Maddie, was covered in red bumps after spending an afternoon at Brown's Beach on Saratoga Lake one week ago. Several other children also complained.
The Albany mom reached out to the beach the next day, but was only told they are aware of the problem and will remain open.
So she posted on Facebook, and the post was shared more than 1,000 times. This week the town of Stillwater responded.
The town supervisor says they're aware of the problem, but it's a natural occurrence.
Ries says the beach should have made parents aware.
Swimmer's itch is a rash caused by an allergic reaction to parasites found in bird feces.
It's been more than a week now and little Maddie's rash is finally starting to clear up.
Hear Ries' frustrations over the response she received from the town of Stillwater by watching the video.
Copyright 2020 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company