Updated: October 14, 2020 07:11 PM
Created: October 14, 2020 05:11 PM
BALLSTON SPA - Tyler Gaston pleaded not guilty Wednesday to six counts related to alleged daytime attacks on women in Saratoga Springs and Malta.
Police say he assaulted and sexually abused a woman walking through a Saratoga Springs cemetery on her way to work on September 23, and then just three days later he was accused of attacking two women on the Zim Smith Trail in Malta.
One of the women wasn't injured, but the other was, and he's charged with assault and sexual abuse in that case too.
"Six separate counts spanning two separate dates and locations and includes three separate victims," said Michele Schettino, the assistant district attorney prosecuting the case.
Gaston had been free after posting bond in local court, but when the county judge learned Wednesday that there was a third alleged victim, and that Gaston bought and then cancelled a one-way ticket to France before the attacks, he sent him to jail without bail.
"The court is not convinced that the defendant would return to this court and in fact finds that the defendant is a significant flight risk," ruled Murphy.
Gaston's attorney says his client was planning to travel to France before the alleged attacks, not after.
Attorney Andy Safranko says he will make a written application for bail.
"I think it's important to know that Tyler doesn't have any significant criminal history, in fact no criminal history whatsoever. He's a good kid from a good family," Safranko said.
If convicted of the top counts, he could be sentenced to up to 14 years in prison, but in the meantime, he's being held in jail.
"I think the public is safer knowing who this person is, having entities like you broadcasting his picture," said Saratoga County District Attorney Karen Heggen.
Tyler Gaston, accused of attacking two women and trying to attack another in two separate incidents, is taken to the Saratoga County Jail after his arraignment on a six count indictment. @MulhollandWNYT has more on @WNYT. pic.twitter.com/oNZY2FjFCH— Kevin Montano (@KevinMontano) October 14, 2020
#Firston13: He’d been free on bond after alleged daylight attacks of women. When Judge ?@JimMurphyIII? learned of another alleged victim and recent international travel plans for Tyler Gaston, he sent him to jail. Story on ?@WNYT? pic.twitter.com/hXllpqqnwV— Mark Mulholland (@MulhollandWNYT) October 14, 2020
Copyright 2020 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company