Advertisement

Saratoga County sheriff, schools partner up in name of safety

May 17, 2018 02:00 PM

A new partnership has formed between the Saratoga County Sheriff's Office and school districts in the county. It's in the name of school safety. As the school year is winding down, they are getting ready for school resource officers.

The sheriff was joined by representatives from half a dozen school districts in the county as they laid out a plan for qualified officers.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

The cost is about $90,000 per officer. The district will pick up 75 percent. The county will pick up the other 25 percent. The sheriff says they're still working on the numbers.

After Tuesday's district votes, most knew this was the next step in today's world.

"We don't expect them to be stationed in one place. We expect them to be visible and moving around throughout our district," explained Dr. Michael McCarthy, the Mechanicville CSD superintendent.

"The students want to learn. They don't want any disruption, so I think having a deputy in the school to be able to interact with the kids and have this one-on-one is going to be a huge asset for all these schools right here today," noted Saratoga County Sheriff Michael Zurlo.

They expect the school resource officers will talk about substance abuse, drunk driving and social media.

The question is sustainability and who will pay for this long-term. Will it be built into the district budget, will it be passed along to the taxpayers or will the state step up?

Interviews and training will take place this summer. The sheriff wants them all in place and ready to go in September.

Credits

WNYT Staff

Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Relay Media Amp
Advertisement
Advertisement
Officer-involved shooting in Albany

10,000-pound excavator stolen from Middleburgh family business

Repairs continue after lightning sparks fire at Saratoga Springs City Hall

Consideration underway to move re-trial in fatal Halfmoon accident out of area

Wilton cracking down on bird feeders after bear sightings

Advertisement