Advertisement

NYC health officials say measles outbreak has ended

September 03, 2019 06:26 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - Health officials in New York City say a measles outbreak concentrated in Brooklyn is over.
    
City Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot said in a statement early Tuesday that an emergency declared earlier this year has been lifted. During the outbreak, the city had ordered residents in largely Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods to get vaccinated or else face possible fines.
    
Barbot warned that there's still a threat of infection and urged New Yorkers to get their children immunized before the new school year.
    
Health officials say the emergency order was lifted because two incubation periods since the last reported cases have passed without any new infections.
    
The officials say there had been more than 650 cases of measles reported since October 2018.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Credits

AP

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Police investigating possible homicide in Troy

Giants bench Eli Manning, name Daniel Jones starting QB

New Siena poll finds majority of New Yorkers oppose new license plates

'Jeopardy!' host Trebek says he's resumed chemotherapy

Cokie Roberts, longtime political journalist, dies at 75

Advertisement