Controversy surrounds serial sex abuser's possible release from prison
January 02, 2018 06:22 PM
A serial sex abuser from Troy could get out of prison, even though he has been denied parole.
Two of Louis Van Wie's victims are working to make sure that doesn't happen.
The Van Wie case made headlines years ago and it's still doing so now.
One of his many victims was at the Legislative Office Building in Albany, calling for change.
Police say Van Wie confessed to sexually abusing Capital Region kids from the ages of 4 to 10 -- both male and female, for more than 40 years.
He could get out of prison at any time, even though a parole board found that he could still be a threat to children.
One of Van Wie's many victims, Gary Greenberg, is part of a group calling for the governor to make the "Child Victims Act" a priority. Among other things, they want to end conditional release for felony child abusers and to extend the statute of limitations for victims to come forward.
Van Wie satisfied requirements for conditional release after serving two-thirds of his maximum 30-year sentence. He could have stepped out the door at the end of 2016, but while he waits for approved and appropriate housing, he's still in prison. While he was in prison, he was recently denied parole for the sixth time.
Greenberg says when a child is abused, their soul is murdered. His luck changed forever in one attack when he was just 7 years old.
"He could get housing and he could be released, so any community he goes into would be at danger. So, it's disgraceful and it's disgusting that the state would even consider giving anyone of his type level of being a serial rapist of over 300 boys and girls over four decades, just – it's amazing," noted Greenberg.
Greenberg says if there had been more years or no statute of limitations many years ago, that would have saved many children from suffering at the hands of Van Wie.
Created: January 02, 2018 06:22 PM
Copyright 2018 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company