Albany chef back to work after ICE release

March 11, 2019 06:53 PM

ALBANY - There were many days when Kinimo Ngoran feared that he would never see this place again. 

"I'm grateful," he said. "I'm so happy to be back in this kitchen. I love everything I do.  I'm so grateful. Last night, I prayed and I said, 'God, I'm glad I'm back home.'"


Monday was his first day back preparing meals for the hundreds of people in need at the Capital City Rescue Mission. 

NewsChannel 13 was there last week for his emotional return to greet supporters who worked hard for his release.  

He spent six weeks in a detention center, after he was held while on a routine check-in at a local immigration office.  

ICE decided Ngoran can stay in the U.S. until a decision is made on his application for a green card through his American citizen wife. 

"I couldn't wait to come back here," said Ngoran.  "Actually, I came back here Wednesday and my boss said no no no, you have to go back. Come back Monday! For me, I'm here already. I love to be here in this kitchen." 
"Even though he wanted to come right away, I had to send him back home and say you come back here Monday," said Executive Chef Max Ansong. "I just want him to take some time and rest, just the two of them, because they've gone through a lot."

Chef Ansong planned Ngoran's favorite chicken dinner to celebrate his return. 

"Tonight is going to be a feast for these guys and I know that they're going to enjoy it because he put all his heart to put this meal together," said Ansong. 

Ansong says Ngoran has dedicated his life to helping others. 

"I'm so grateful to be here," said Ngoran.  "And I'm back today to work and I love it. I'm here to do it."


Kumi Tucker

Copyright 2019 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Relay Media Amp
Watervliet man facing multiple sex charges

Rotterdam Stewarts employee tests positive for coronavirus

Bethlehem High School switching to remote learning for one week

Heavy police presence in Watervliet ends with one taken into custody

Glenmont fire sends one to hospital, destroys home