Updated: July 19, 2020 02:48 PM
Created: July 19, 2020 02:44 PM
Make Cafe Quality Latte at Home Save your money! Make delicious cafe-quality coffee and latte at home with just a couple of inexpensive items that will save you hundreds of dollars if you are one of those people spending yourself going through the cafe drive through on a daily basis.
This is what you need:
• French press coffee pot - these come in glass or ceramic
• Good ground coffee - rougher grind if possible. To save money while still getting a superior latte, I make a mixture of store brand French roast coffee combined with a more expensive, fair trade organic coffee.
• Hot water just off the boil
• Electric Milk Frother - these devices are inexpensive and give you heated (or chilled) frothed milk. Mine has lasted for years and was about $30. If you don’t have one, you can still make an excellent latte by adding heated milk to your co?ee.
• Sugar (optional) - treat yourself to a really quality sugar and save it only for your morning co?ee ritual. Believe me, it will secretly make you feel special; each and every morning! I use raw sugar.
• Milk (optional - whole, 2%, or skim, soy or nut milks will all froth)
• Cream of Coconut (optional) - I sometimes melt a tearoom or two of this in my coffee cup with my raw sugar. This hint of a coconut taste to your coffee and provides some good fats for your brain.
Here’s my method:
1. Pre-heat the French Press with hot tape water while water’s on the stove boiling for your coffee.
2. Empty French press after a couple of minutes of heating. Add 1 heaping tablespoon ground co?ee per 8 oz. of boiling water to the bottom of the French press.
3. Add hot water just off of a boil to French press. Do not ?ll to the top - leave - 2 inches from top.
4. Stir - this is the crucial step to great coffee.
5. Put top on French press with the plunger in the up position and let stand 1-2 minutes for the coffee to brew. While coffee is brewing…
6. Heat / froth milk in either the milk frother, on the stove, or in the microwave.
7. Go back to the French press and slowly push down the plunger.
8. Pour your beautiful cup of coffee, add sugar and/or cream of coconut (if desired), and pour frothed milk (if desired) on the top.
And there you have cafe-quality latte in your own kitchen made for pennies. Not dollars. Enjoy
Copyright 2020 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company