Celebrating the Armenian Festival with Kataif
August 31, 2019 02:40 PM
- 1 lb. box kataif
- 11/2 cups clarified butter
- 1 Qt heavy cream (yields 4 cups)
- 1 Qt half and half
- 9 full Tb corn starch
- 4 Tb sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp mystic gum crushed
- 1 Tb orange blossom
- 3 cups sugar
- 11/2 cups water
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tb orange blossom water
1 cup medium chopped pistachio
- Preparation of filling- In a sauce pan combine the heavy cream, half and half and the corn starch together.
- On medium heat using a whisk cook it until it boils and thickens like a pudding. It is essential that you keep stirring the mixture, so it doesn’t get lumpy.
- After it boils and thickens, remove it from the heat and add to it the sugar, vanilla mystic gum and the orange blossom. Pour it into an open dish and allow it to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar and the water and place the lid on top. Cook it on high for 1 minute then after it boils lower it on simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove the top and add the lemon juice. Take it off from heat and add the orange blossom, stir and cover. If you keep it covered that way the syrup won’t crystallized.
- In a large bowl try your best to separate the kataif from each other, using your fingers. Add the butter to it and try to distribute it evenly as possible to coat all the kataif with the butter, again by using your fingers.
- Divide the kataif into 2 portions. Get a 17 1/2 by 12 1/2 pan and arrange half of the kataif until it is even. Use a second pan and press it down on the kataif.
- Take the second pan off and scoop the filling evenly on the kataif. Try to stay one inch away from the edges. Arrange the second portion of the kataif on top of the filling. Try your best to cover all the filling.
- Place the second tray on top and press down gently just so the top evens out a little, then take the second pan off. Bake the kataif in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes or until it is golden in color.
- Place the same size tray right on top and turn it upside down. The kataif should be on the back of the tray that was placed on the top.
- Slide the kataif back in the same pan. This is done so the top becomes even and looks very professional. Cut the kataif into 3 x 3-inch squares and place a 1/2 tsp pistachio on top of each square and pour the syrup over the whole kataif.
Updated: August 31, 2019 02:40 PM
Created: August 31, 2019 12:50 PM
Copyright 2019 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved