Firefighter's home destroyed by flames

November 14, 2017 12:37 PM

CAMBRIDGE - A fire early Tuesday morning in Washington County happened at a small house that belonged to one of their own volunteers. By the time he got back home, it was too late to save.

The call came in shortly after 6 a.m. It's a small town said the chief, so they knew the neighborhood sounded familiar. When they got there, they found out just how familiar it was.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

It was a house at the intersection of Spring and Division streets in Cambridge, owned by fellow firefighter Robert Green. A volunteer for 15 years, Green works as a mechanic and had already gone to work when the fire broke out. Nobody else was home. A neighbor called it in.

"When I pulled up, when I arrived, I had heavy fire from the doorway and the window here coming out. It was already coming out through the glass, coming around the eaves, spread through the majority of the downstairs," said Cambridge Fire Chief Tom Gray.

The fire began on the first floor and spread quickly. Two family pets, a dog and a cat, did not make it out of the house. Firefighters attacked it from the inside almost immediately, doing what they could to save Green's house.

"I'm sure he'll bounce back. He's a strong person and we're going to reach out to help him out, what we can," said Gray.

The fire was stubborn. Even when firefighters thought it was out, it had crept into the roof. They had to vent it as best they could.


WNYT Staff

Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Relay Media Amp
Young Man Shot in October Mountain State Forest, MA

Officer-involved shooting in Albany

10,000-pound excavator stolen from Middleburgh family business

Repairs continue after lightning sparks fire at Saratoga Springs City Hall

Consideration underway to move re-trial in fatal Halfmoon accident out of area