Elderly couple dies in Pittsfield house fire
October 12, 2018 04:49 AM
Fire investigators say a fire that killed an elderly couple early Thursday morning was electrical.
The fire broke out just before 4 a.m. on Bryan Street on the north side of the city. The fire chief says the cause of the fire was an extension cord, into a power strip, into a faulty outlet that was covered in boxes and other stuff.
The couple had lived in the house for decades. Their adult daughter who was also living there jumped out a window and was able to escape with minor burns.
An extension cord that was plugged into a power strip that was plugged into an old outlet. The extension cord appeared to have been buried under a bunch of cardboard boxes and things like that - #Pittsfield Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski on cause of #fatalfire. @WNYT pic.twitter.com/wShNNhKb2S
The couple was found on the first floor of the home. The woman died at the scene. Her husband was rushed to Berkshire Medical Center where he later died.
Firefighters say their adult daughter, who was home at the time, managed to get out and run to a neighbor's house to call 911.
The house is destroyed.
Elderly woman dies in house #fire this morning in @PittsfieldPD. Husband taken to Berkshire Medical Center. MA #firemarshal investigators here on Bryan St. Fire Chief Czerwinski says daughter in 30s escaped and ran to neighbors to call 911. @WNYT pic.twitter.com/2ZmipewN4U— John Craig (@JohnCraigWNYT) October 11, 2018
Update from officials on #Pittsfield #fatalfire. Both the husband & wife died in the fire that broke out around 4am on Bryan St. The cause of the fire is under investigation. @PittsfieldPD @MassEMA. @wnyt at noon. pic.twitter.com/IGaHkTGPaT— John Craig (@JohnCraigWNYT) October 11, 2018
Updated: October 12, 2018 04:49 AM
Created: October 11, 2018 09:47 AM
Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved