Family escapes early morning Raymertown fire

April 23, 2019 06:40 PM

RAYMERTOWN – Down a rural country road, tanker after tanker rolled in with a supply of water to pour into the 3,000 gallon pool which was pumped on the house fire that got quite a head start.

"By the time we pulled through it was too late," said Raymertown Volunteer Fire Chief Steve LeBlanc. "They were already into the first floor or into the basement, so everything was burnt through."

The family of six was alerted by smoke alarms around 3:45 a.m., according to Jay Wilson of the Rensselaer County Emergency Services. The Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office was first on the scene. The preliminary determination was that they had a fire in an outdoor stove on the front porch Monday night that wasn't completely out when they went to bed.

"I can't stress enough with the burn ban going on in the county and the state to please be vigil about making sure if you're doing any burns outside you watch them and make sure they're extinguished before you leave them," Wilson said.

The "L" shaped house had been there since the mid-70's and the family moved in a few years ago. Volunteers from Raymertown, Pittstown, Mountain View, Center Brunswick, Valley Falls, Johnsonville, Spiegletown and Grafton all responded. Propane tanks hooked to the back of the house were removed and turned off but the power source to the solar panels kept burning and at one point exploded.

"The good thing is they all got out alive," said Wilson.


WNYT Staff

Copyright 2019 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Relay Media Amp