Former Howard Johnson's owner will have to wait longer to learn sex offender status
February 22, 2019 05:02 PM
The former owner of the Howard Johnson's Restaurant in Lake George is going to stay behind bars longer than expected.
Jonathan LaRock pleaded guilty last year to inappropriately touching five women and teens working at the restaurant. The charges included a felony charge of sexual abuse.
However, there are new developments in the case. LaRock will have to wait at least one more week to find out his sex offender status after the judge scheduled an additional hearing for next Thursday .
This decision comes after a hearing when the Warren County Judge, Judge Hall says he received a handwritten letter allegedly from LaRock on January 24 saying the incidents he pleaded guilty to in September of 2018 never happened.
The judge admitted the letter into court proceedings on Friday, saying the document was unsworn and therefore, he cannot make a determination on LaRock's sex offender status without first verifying where the letter came from.
In January, NewsChannel 13's partners at The Post-Star reported LaRock, while serving his six-month sentence, sent a letter to the judge claiming he was set up by those women and girls.
In his letter, he asked for the judge to reconsider his status as a sex offender.
LaRock's attorney says Friday's hearing will impact his potential release date.
The next hearing is scheduled for Feb 28, three days past LaRock's expected release date.
Updated: February 22, 2019 05:02 PM
Created: February 22, 2019 01:09 PM
Copyright 2019 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved