May 11, 2019 11:44 AM
Panna cotta is a classic Italian dessert of cooked cream. A restaurant favorite for its rich flavor and delicate texture, panna cotta is surprisingly easy to make at home.
1 cup cold whole milk
1 package (.25 oz) gelatin
3 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (the best is from Madagascar)
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
- The first step is to “bloom” the gelatin in the cold milk. In a saucepan, pour the cold milk and sprinkle the package of gelatin over the milk and let sit for about 10 minutes as the gelatin absorbs the milk.
- Turn on heat to medium high and, stirring constantly, heat the milk / gelatin mixture for one minute dissolving gelatin completely.
- Lower heat to low. Still stirring constantly, add salt, sugar and vanilla and continue to stir until completely dissolved — about 30 sec to 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and slowly add heavy cream while stirring constantly. Once fully incorporated, place the saucepan with the panna cotta mixture in an ice bath. For 15 minutes, stir mixture frequently but not constantly. The mixture will thicken slightly during this step. Please do not skip this step, you panna cotta will separate in the refrigerator if you do.
- Pour mixture into ramekins or wine glasses and chill covered with plastic wrap until set.
- Serve topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of honey if desired.
Learn more about Perreca's Bakery by clicking here.
Updated: May 11, 2019 11:44 AM
Created: May 11, 2019 08:33 AM
Copyright 2019 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved