Lightning strike causes a fire at Saratoga Springs City Hall

August 18, 2018 12:21 AM

SARATOGA SPRINGS - Fire crews were called to a scene on Broadway in Saratoga Springs after lightning started a fire in the attic of City Hall Friday evening.

Fortunately it was put out fairly quickly and no one was hurt. Fire officials said there were people inside the building at the time.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

It all started just before 7:30 p.m. Several bystanders told NewsChannel 13 that they heard an enormous boom of thunder and then the fire alarm at City Hall going off.

Saratoga Springs Fire Chief Robert Williams said there were over 20 people on the third floor for dance concert. Fortunately everyone was able to get out and there were no injuries.

NewsChannel 13 spoke with the man who organizes the concerts. He said first the lights went out and it seemed like a regular power outage. Then the fire department showed up and the situation worsened.

“When we went back upstairs we noticed water started coming slowly dripping and then it got much worse,” David Wolf, Savor Diamond Dance Coordinator said. “We then noticed some damage to the ceiling that might be a little burned do it. And once I started to notice that and there was smoke in the room I decided it was best to call it a night.”

Wolf said the building is the oldest meeting hall in New York State.

Fortunately the fire damage was limited to a very small area of the attic about 20-30 square feet. However officials said the water damage inside the building is pretty significant.

“Probably starting Monday there’s gonna be a lot of people affected in City Hall,” Saratoga Springs Fire Chief Robert Williams said. “Public Safety was affected I don’t know if the mayor’s office was affected. So some of the water damage was going down from the third to the second floor.”

A damage restoration crew was on scene Friday night to assess the building.


Aidan Bean

Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Relay Media Amp
Man dies while shoveling snow in Scotia

Green Island snow emergency means all hands on deck

Saratoga Springs couple continues mission to build permanent cold-weather homeless shelter

'Code Blue' keeps Capital Region homeless shelters packed to capacity

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. remembered in Albany