Smoked Bacon Minestrone from More Perreca's
January 13, 2018 11:42 AM
Smoked Bacon Minestrone
- ½ cup Dried cannellini beans
- .5 lbs Smoked Bacon, chopped
- 1.5 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ each Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 each Garlic clove, minced
- 10 -oz Canned plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
- 1 each Bay leaf
- ½ cup Peeled and small diced carrots
- ½ cup Peeled and small diced celery
- ½ cup Idaho potato, medium diced
- 3 cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- 2 quarts Hot Water
- 1 each Zucchini, trimmed and diced medium
- ¾ Cup Ditalini
- 1 cup Lightly packed basil leaves
- 1 cup Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 4 tbs Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. Place bean in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and add smoked bacon. Cover pot, remove from heat and let sit for an hour.
2. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add the onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft, add the garlic and continue to cook until browned.
3. Crush the tomatoes coarsely and add them with their liquid to the pot along with crushed red pepper, bay leaves, carrots, celery, and potato, simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cabbage, and simmer another 5 minutes.
4. Add water, drained beans, and pork to pot and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
5. Add zucchini and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, remove pork, shred and add back to soup.
6. Cook the ditalini until al dente.
Make the Pesto
7. Combine basil, grated cheese, and oil in food processor and process to a rough paste.
Add a portion of pasta to bowl, top with hot soup and garnish with pesto.
Updated: January 13, 2018 11:42 AM
Created: January 13, 2018 08:09 AM
Copyright 2018 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company