Advertisement

Space heater may be to blame for Saratoga County house fire

November 19, 2018 12:59 PM

A space heater may be to blame for a house fire on Saratoga Lake.

Fire crews say they arrived at 75 Old Saratoga Lake Road around 12:30 Sunday.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Two construction workers were on the second floor of the summer home when they say they heard a bang. Within minutes, the house was up in flames.

No one was hurt. The home is a total loss.

The cold weather comes with the need to stay warm, but there are things you need to be aware of if you use a space heater.

Heating equipment is the second leading cause of house fires in the United States -- about 65,000 home fires a year.

Safety should always be a top consideration when using space heaters.

Read manufacturer's instructions and warning labels.

Never leave a space heater unattended.

Turn it off if you're leaving a room, or going to sleep.

Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet.

Don't use an extension cord or power strip. They can overheat and cause fire.

Finally, always unplug the heater when you're not using it.

Credits

WNYT Staff

Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Relay Media Amp
Advertisement
Advertisement
Justices won't hear states' appeal over Planned Parenthood

Trump looking at several candidates for chief of staff

Health officials urge Vermonters to get flu shot

Final report on legislative raises due today

Community mourns loss of Saratoga Springs native

Advertisement