Answers in 1986 murder remain a mystery

November 08, 2017 07:36 PM

NORTHHAMPTON – Investigators searched a property in the town of Northampton, Fulton County looking for the remains of Tammie McCormick. They came up with nothing.
Tammie disappeared in April 1986 while walking to school in Saratoga Springs. She was 13 years old at the time.
In 2011, police told NewsChannel 13 a former corrections officer, Arthur Slaybaugh II, was a person of interest. He died in 2001. 
The property police searched on State Route 30 belongs to Slaybaugh's relative. They got very specific information from new interviews that led them to about a 20-yard wide section of land in the darkness behind a house. State Police and FBI investigators made their way to the search area behind a house on Route 30. They used shovels, an excavator and radar to sift through a pile of old building materials and the dirt underneath, looking for Tammie McCormick.
It's the childhood home of a suspect in the cold case, Arthur Mason Slaybaugh, who was 26 years old when McCormick went missing. The house is still in the Slaybaugh family. His niece lives there now.
The property has been on investigators' radar for a few years. Recently, new information allowed them to get a warrant from the judge.
"Thirty-one years. That's a lot of holidays. That's a lot of birthdays. Maybe it hits home with people and they have a change of heart to come forward with information," noted Lt. Bob Jillson with Saratoga Springs Police Department.
Tammie left her house in the Geyser Crest neighborhood of Saratoga Springs on a school morning in April 1986.
Police now say she was last seen at Slaybough's house on Route 9P in Saratoga Lake.
McCormick had a history of running away and she'd been to the Saratoga Lake house before.
"People that we've interviewed over time that give different accounts of her possibly hitchhiking in the area at somebody's house puts her down there at that house at 9P," explained Jillson.
Slaybaugh came up again in the case a few years ago. However, the Mount McGregor corrections officer had already been dead for 10 years.
"He passed away 2001, we weren't able to get an interview into him when we started looking this cold case again back in 2010, 2011," explained Jillson.
Investigators were out doing interviews again on Wednesday. It's one of two cold cases that Saratoga Springs police still works on. 
Slaybaugh's niece didn't have anything to say about her uncle. Now Saratoga Springs police will now regroup and continue looking.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below


WNYT Staff

Copyright 2017 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Relay Media Amp
Teen struck by car on Balltown Road, police investigating

Nellis to be sentenced in connection with Fulton County murder

Severe Storms cause road closures in Troy

Queensbury doctor rushes to aid of fellow campers attacked by wolf in Canada

Cohoes tries to move forward after Morse guilty plea